Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Social Media Platforms are Becoming Shopping Sites

According to a Wall Street Journal article by Resty Woro Yuniar, in Southeast Asia, 30% of online sales were through social media platforms in 2016. Companies are saying that there is easy revenue through this plan. I have seen many advertisements for different clothing options and I know there are clothing brands that post pictures of all of their new releases, but I still shop through the store's website or a third-party site. In Southeast Asia, different social media companies have launched shopping features on their apps. Also, customer assistance is right at the push of a button through the Facebook messaging app.

This a great use of social media for companies to expand and create different channels for consumers to get to their product. I don't know how I feel about this though. I kind of want my social media and shopping separate for the most part but I understand how convenient it would be to have shopping outlets on sites that you visit every day. I do foresee America going to this style eventually. It's just a matter of when and whether it will be as effective here as it is in Southeast Asia right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment