Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Making an Event Better in Social Media

In "The Art of Social Media" the authors talk about how to make an event you are hosting more social media friendly and how it can affect your gathering better. This was nice information because I have been in charge of hosting my fraternity's formals and am in charge of two philanthropy events that are coming up this school year, so I enjoyed reading this chapter from the book. Many of the things that were discussed are a little bit too high scale for the events that I'll be hosting in the near future but they may come in handy eventually. One of those is the use of an Evergreen hashtag that can be used for multiple events that an organization holds or a hashtag that can be easily associated with an organization like Nike's #JustDoIt. It is a great idea to use, just not applicable to me right now.

Some things that the authors Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick mentioned in the chapter that are much more helpful tips to me now are using social media during your event is happening and not just before and after to keep your event more visible to whomever your audience may be. They also recommend designating one person for the event's social media. I am the Public Relations Chair for my fraternity as well so I think it would probably be best if I were to let someone else run the social media accounts that I normally do during the events that I'm hosting because it is a big responsibility to run all of the social media accounts that we have; Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. They also mention providing a backdrop for people to take pictures in front of during your event and even hiring a professional photographer. I don't think that I will be hiring any professional photographer but the University does have an awesome photographer named Trevor that takes pictures at almost every University event so who helps.

ONU's mascot Klondike wearing the Polar Plunge 2016 t-shirt.
I may not be organizing events that require a live Twitter stream of tweets with my organizations hashtag because that may be a little too large scale right now. But I can definitely use the tips to better promote next year's Polar Plunge and this year's home run derby. I enjoy being in charge of the social media for a couple different organizations on campus as well and this book is helping me become a better one. Hopefully I can use this book's ideas to apply to my life right now.


1 comment:

  1. I think that it's awesome that you are PR chair for your fraternity! I am actually hoping to become the PR chair for my sorority next year, so this was a very interesting post for me to read. You pointed out a lot of great facts that the book provided that helped you with your position, and I think that's a really great way to think about it! I like how you tried to make the reading apply to your own personal life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete