Friday, November 18, 2016

Why Do Students Walk on the Sidewalks?

I just happened to cut across the grass on my way to work today with my subway and I started to wonder to myself, "Why did I do this?" Then I started to wonder why do people walk on the sidewalks? Why don't we all just take the most direct path to our classes? I'm sure Dr. Carrothers or Dr. Durkin in the sociology department would be more than happy to figure out why this happens but I did take Dr. Carrothers' intro class so I think I am very qualified to make a great assumption of it. I'm just kidding but I do have some theories for it.

Maybe it's because it rained the day before and we don't want to get our shoes wet. Maybe we are dreading class so much that we want to take the longest way possible. Maybe our heads are hung so low because of the exam we are going to that we know we're going to fail even though you studied for twelve hours that we just follow the path that will lead us to class. Maybe we hang our head and follow the path to avoid eye contact with that kid from your freshman intro to bio class that you feel obligated to say hi to. Maybe it's because people who walk on the grass are judged extremely by the rest of the student population. Maybe it is some sociological thing that is well above my head, but I prefer to think that I'm smart enough to figure it out myself. No matter what it may be, it's very weird that is something I think about. Well everyone, have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. This is so true. I always cut through the grass when coming from Freed to go into the side doors of Mac by WOW, and every time I do this I always wonder why people take the longest path rather than the direct one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really n thought of this before, but I guess I just do it because everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it's a social norm. Like Patrick said, most of us do it because the sidewalk is there and we were taught to walk on the sidewalk at a very early age. I am all about walking through the grass to get to my destination as soon as possible, but sometimes I still stick with the society norm. My question is, why do people ride their bikes and skateboards on the sideWALK?! It's not a sideRIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is good to break the norm and walk through the grass.

    ReplyDelete