Sunday, November 6, 2016

Why Greek Life is a Good Thing

Social Greek organizations have a bad reputation all across the United States. National news covers stories about hazing and alcohol poisoning every year about a different chapter across the nation. I'm here to tell you that Greek life is not all parties and hookups. Greek organizations are a place for people to better themselves. Here a few examples of why Greek life is actually a good thing.

1. Better Grades

You may think that joining a Greek organization may cause lower grades but that is not true. Many chapters have scholarship plans in place where you are required to study and submit your grades to the scholarship chair to ensure that you can continue to improve.

2. Philanthropy 

All Greek organizations have a charitable organization that they are required to hold a philanthropy events. Many chapters have two philanthropy events as well. Depending on the size of the university, chapters can raise thousands of dollars for their charity.

3. Social

When young students join a fraternity or sorority, they gain friends for life. Many students who struggle to find a place in college, find it with Greek life. They find their home and feel like they belong somewhere.

4. Leadership

When young adults join a Greek organization, they get the chance to better themselves. There are many opportunities for leadership within the fraternities and sororities. They learn how to lead and can learn from great leaders that are already a part of the exec boards and cabinet positions.

Greek life is actually a good thing and gives great opportunities to young Americans. As a brother of Delta Sigma Phi, I love being a part of Greek life and I see many young students taking advantage of the opportunities that chapters offer.




4 comments:

  1. As a fellow Greek, I appreciate this post. Stereotypes are everywhere and this post is one way to overcome those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 100% agree with your post! There are so many negative stereotypes about greek life and although I am still in my new member period, I have found all of these accusations to be false! I love be an ZTA and I so happy I decided to go through recruitment this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining greek life have been one of the best decisions I have made throughout my college career. It has taught me to become a leader and has given me the opportunity to make so many life long friends. I just wish everyone could see how beneficial greek life can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greek is on fleek! I love Greek life and I truly think it has brought me everything you said and more.

    ReplyDelete