Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Traveling is a Good Thing

Just recently, I traveled to the Dominican Republic for a mission/education trip. I have never traveled outside of the country before. I went to the other side of Niagara Falls once when I was younger, but I don't think that counts. I honestly don't travel outside of Ohio very much either, so this was a big experience for me. After returning safe and sound, I found out that it is fun to travel. The whole week was a great learning experience.

We went through my class, International Projects. In the class, we have learned about many different types of poverty and the ways to fix it, both the good and bad. In the DR, we worked with an organization called Solid Rock International. They are one of the highest ranked charities on Charity Navigator and are built around helping Dominicans. We set up health clinics in different villages, painted a school and learned about the culture of the Dominicans. I met great people and learned things I would have normally not learned if I stayed in my small town forever.

I haven't been really scared of traveling, just really never felt the need for it. This trip has shown me that it is okay to expand your horizons a little bit and try new things. I loved Dominican food and even though I didn't speak Spanish, I made some great relationships with the locals. I would definitely leave the country again to explore other cultures. Never as a basic tourist though, that is not the kind of stuff that interests me. Going to the country side of the Dominican was much more fun that going to the beaches. I encourage everyone to go and travel and help. Solid Rock is a great organization to work with if you ever wanted to visit the Dominican and help others while you are doing it
.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more:) I hope you really enjoyed it and it encouraged you to travel even more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you had this opportunity. My dream is to travel more outside of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since starting college I have had so many opportunities to travel, and now I can honestly say that I love to. I've been able to go to the United Kingdom and even traveled across the United States. Because of these opportunities I have grown and become more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am traveling this January after graduation and I cannot wait! This post made me even more excited!

    ReplyDelete