Tuesday, October 18, 2016

3 Reasons College is Better Than High School

Going to college from high school is a scary transition that thousands of young adults make every August. The anxiousness of going from something you have been comfortable with for four years and then being the oldest ones and running the school to not having a clue what is going on. After finally settling in to your campus, you are still scared and have no idea what is going on and you really hate your 8 o'clock bio class. But, after the first month you are getting used to things and realizing that this isn't so bad. By fall break you are a pro and you completely forget about high school. That's because high school is terrible compared to college. College is the best time of your life and high school doesn't even compare. Don't get me wrong, I loved high school and won't forget it but I would never go back. Here are some reasons why I believe college is better than high school.

1. Freedom

You can make all the stupid decisions you want and nobody can stop you. In college, you schedule your own classes, you can be up until 4 watching Gossip Girl and nobody will say a word. Your parents aren't hovering over your life. College gives you the opportunity to make you responsible for your actions and teach you that nobody is their to hold your hand in the real world, even your parents. You can go out on the weekends and be irresponsible and nobody from your hometown even knows what you are doing.College allows you freedoms that the prison walls of high school never even dreamed of. 

2. Opportunities 

The amount of opportunities that you get from attending college is exponential. Whether it is just the fact that you could possibly get a higher education degree and better job opportunities because of that or the connections you make in college. As a business student, I personally have many opportunities for jobs because of the connections that my professors and staff have. In any department, the faculty and staff have connections in the work force that you are looking to go into and possibly get you a career. 

3. Relationships

College is where most people make the friends that will be beside them on their wedding day. College is where many people find the person that they will marry in 5 years. College gives you an opportunity to make friends with people that have similar interests to you, where high school you are often stuck with your friends just because of your location. On welcome weekend or your junior year, people make friendships that last a lifetime and you would have not met these people if it weren't for college. 

"I Love College" is a very inappropriate song with a very true title. Going to college is one of the best decisions I have ever made and I found my home at Ohio Northern. Just because I like college more doesn't mean I don't cherish my days at Ada High School. I'm still best friends with my buddies from Ada and they will be in my wedding one day but college has opened my eyes to what the world has to offer. If you are in college right now, keep on keeping on and living the life. If you are in high school, fight out those last moments you have and enjoy them, but be ready for the fun stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree! These three themes throughout college definitely make it better than high school. I never liked high school anyways, but college is so much better than I ever could have imagined, and these three reasons definitely play a large role. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in high school everyone always told me to remember the days in high school because they would be the best days of my life...however when I got to college I finally understood that these were the best four years of my life. The three themes that you mention are just proof that college is better than High School.

    ReplyDelete