Monday, October 10, 2016

Youtube Can Actually be Useful

Many people across the world use YouTube everyday, but usually not for helpful purposes. Myself and many other users usually use YouTube to watch videos of cats falling down or of videos that are really not relevant with current events and are just time-wasters when laying down for bed. Jason McDonald writes in his book "Social Media Marketing Workbook" on how to effectively use YouTube as a social media platform either as a consumer or as a administrator for your company.

As a consumer, you can get a lot of information from a company's YouTube. Most companies have informational videos on many of their products and on their company in general. Also, it's easy to use Google to search for information and videos. If you are looking for organic foods or which brand of truck is the best, Google provides you with information on the most viewed videos on YouTube right on the results. As a producer, this attribute from Google can work to your advantage. On YouTube, add keywords to your channel and videos to optimize your traffic. Understanding how your consumers search and what words they are searching for is very important to a business.

McDonald also discusses that the keys to success for a professional YouTube account. As a business you should obviously upload quality videos to start. Without videos on your page, there is really no point to have an account as a business. "How to" videos are one of the most searched throughout YouTube, so if you are a service company, this is a great opportunity to reach customers looking for help. Another reason to reach more customers through advertising on YouTube is to make your video emotional. I know that I am much more likely to share an emotional video that hits closer to home. I could continue to discuss how to properly use YouTube but there are many options that I still haven't touched. Using YouTube can either be a very helpful and insightful experience or a great time-waster. However you use it, just make remember it can be a helpful tool.

3 comments:

  1. I use Youtube all the time for things, especially cooking. However, the other side of Youtube would be the hours on hours I have spent watching mindless videos. I think the hard part is the self control of not clicking on more than your seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use YouTube for How-to videos all of the time! I'm a visual learner so I guess it makes sense that I can watch a video and learn how to do something rather than read step-by-step instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to spend a lot of time on YouTube watching channels like Jenna Marbles and Tyler Oakley. Now that I'm in college I don't have as much time to watch Youtubers and I spend more time learning from it. It can be a life saver!

    ReplyDelete