Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Twitter is Odd yet Useful

In "Social Media Marketing Workbook" by Jason McDonald, he discusses how we can effectively use Twitter, for business and for personal use. I have been on Twitter for some time now and I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means but I do know how to operate the social media platform for myself. Where I run into problems, like I'm sure many of us do, is how to run an account from a professional viewpoint. I honestly wouldn't know where to start and I need to learn because hopefully getting an internship or job after graduation will put me in a position to help a company run their own Twitter.

If you are unfamiliar with Twitter, I'll give you a quick rundown of how it works from McDonald's perspective and from mine. Twitter is just basically this big mess of memes, political advertisements, people's complaining and just overall nonsense. Even though that this may be true from what I see, there are many opportunities for business's to have success. McDonald talks about how Twitter is a fast-paced culture and is a noisy stream of news and gossip. He suggests that some companies may not even be good to be on Twitter. With the noise and the strong relation to pop culture on Twitter, if you sell Life Alerts, it may not be the platform for your business. If your business is right for Twitter though, take advantage of the opportunities it gives to your business. Market by tweeting to celebrities who have lots of followers to get more traffic on your page. Share links to new products and good deals on them. Use a hashtag to get a conversation going with your followers. There are many ways for a business to stay active and fresh.

If you are not on Twitter, I would suggest trying it out and watching the chaos unfold. Whether it be a personal account or a professional one. Get on there to catch up with your favorite celebrity or business or your friends, as well. It is a nice platform to be on and very helpful to you no matter what kind of user you are. Just try not to get addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment