Sunday, October 2, 2016

Growing Up in a Small Town

I love Ada with all my heart. Ada has made me who I am. No matter where you have grown up, the town or city will shape your personality, either in a big way or a small way. My small town has affected me in a big way. It has had a huge influence on my life. I love being able to walk into Little Mexico and saying hello to everybody in there. I love working at the grocery store and talking to all the people going through my line. There are so many aspects of growing up in Ada that I am very thankful for.

I had sixty one people in my graduating class at Ada High School and I knew everyone of my classmates names and mostly everybody in the high school. I understand that there are benefits to bigger schools but I think the benefits of going to a smaller school outweigh larger schools. Going to a school where the students are in the same building for thirteen years is a great experience to build friendships that last a lifetime. Sitting at a lunch table with your best friends everyday and sitting in class with teachers that you see at the Harvest and Herb are memories that I'll never forget.

Growing up around here, there is nothing to do, so you have to make your own fun. Having bonfires was the thing to do on a Saturday or Friday night. Going to the football games on Fridays where the whole town was there cheering on the team then heading over to the Wilcox's afterwards to watch the highlights from around the area and eat as much food as possible. Those are some of the memories that I got from growing up in Ada. I would love to live here my whole life and have my kids have the same teachers that I did.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up in Lima and went to school at Shawnee and although Shawnee was a little bigger than Ada, I throughly enjoyed growing up in a smaller town. Not once did I ever feel really unsafe. My class was also fairly close. I can honestly say that when graduation came I knew everyone who walked across that stage with me. Growing up in a small town is something I wish for every kid. You create memories that no one can ever take away for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see how you feel about it, although I can't really relate to it. I love being at home, even though my hometown is way bigger than Ada, just because all the reasons you mention. Yet I feel the urge to go out there and see other places, other things.

    Are you planning on ever leaving here, temporarily or permanently?
    According to your story, I could totally get it if you didn't..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a small school as well. Although my high school was nowhere near any towns. My graduating class was 70 and I agree that it is very nice. I knew nearly everyone and all of my teachers knew me by name.

    Moving to Ada for me wasn't too much of a change. The only difference is that I can now walk to the convenient store instead of having to drive 15 minutes to Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in the city, so leaving that for ONU was a huge change for me, but it was definitely for the best. I'd have to agree that small towns do have their charms, and it's nice to see lots of familiar faces on campus.

    ReplyDelete